Roman Tray Pizza 85% hydration

« Older   Newer »

Advanced Member

Group

Status

Today we are going to present one of the most demanded recipe on our forum. “Pizza in teglia alla romana” (which literally means “Roman tray pizza”). It started to spread out from Rome to all over Italy and now there is also a “Disciplinare (procedural guidelines)” which was written by our forum community (link HERE).

We will make this product following the recipe from our forum member LAPERGAMENA (Emma). If you are interested in her recipes we already have another one in English HERE.

You can find the original thread in Italian language HERE.

I will now pass the floor to our Emma!

Roman Pizza Tray - 85% Hydration

My colleagues have been asking me for this type of pizza since a while now and I thought I could have also pleased who asked me a video about how I flatten out the dough.

The dough we are going to present is nothing fancy, with simple toppings and the pizza is still tasty when cold.

Ingredients

White wheat flour (W280-320 or protein content >13%)____ 700 gr
    Semola rimacinata flour (fine durum/hard wheat flour)____ 300 gr
    Water _____ 850 gr (85% hydration)
    Golden syrup or Malt or Sugar____ 1/2 spoon
    Salt _______ 25 gr
    Fresh compressed yeast ____ 5gr (if you want to use a sourdough starter use 200/250 gr)

I used a spiral kneading machine, but you can use a stand mixer or by hand with the no-knead method that you can find HERE.

If you are not familiar with high hydration dough you can reduce the water to 700 grams and you will still obtain a great final product.

If you use a kneading machine remember to start from clod ingredients straight out of the fridge. Cool down both water and flour before using it.

Mix 80% of the water with all the flour and let to autolyze for 30 minutes. Place the remaining water back in the fridge.

After the 30 minutes start the machine and as soon as you have a strong gluten network start adding the rest of the water little by little.

You will see the dough that unfolds and opens up, but then it closes around the dough hook again. That’s the time to add the next little bit of water. Do this until all the water is adsorbed by the flour.

Remove the dough from the machine and shape into a ball. Here a video about this step

Video

Place the shaped dough into a container (lubricate the inner surfaces with oil first) and put it in the fridge for 48 hours.

In my case having the golden syrup accelerated the rising and this is the situation after 24 hours. I decided then to take it out of the fridge, cut into the final portions and shape them. Immediately back in the fridge and after 48 hours they were perfect.

Remove from the fridge and leave it at room temperature for about ¾ hours until the dough reaches 19 °C.

Here the videos for the flattening of the doughs…

500 grams of dough for 30x40 cm rectangular tray…

Video

600 grams of dough for 30x40 cm rectangular tray…

Video

I baked them in the F1 oven at 380 °C floor temperature and 250 °C ceiling temperature. Baking time around 10 minutes, then I rotated the tray by 180 degrees and baked for another 3 minutes. You can increase the ceiling temperature if needed.

In a domestic oven:
    - Pre-heat the oven for 40 minutes
    - Use very thin trays
    - Put the tray at the lowest level for 10 minutes and then rotate the tray and put in the middle level of the oven. Bake for another ¾ minutes.
    - Do not use convection mode.

It is crunchy and crumbly on the outside and very soft on the inside. If we put it in the oven for few minutes just before eating it the crunchy effect will be spectacular!

Enjoy!

Advanced Member

Group

Status
    Mi piacciono troppo ste trasposizioni in inglese dei post.
    Grande Elpado :B):

Group
    Bannati

Status
    Grande lavoro Elpado grazie :wub:
    lo giro ai miei amici americani

Advanced Member

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    In effetti stai svolgendo un certosino lavoro amanuense interculturale veramente lodevole, e per il bene dell'umanità, aggiungerei.

Advanced Member

Group

Status
    Grazie ragazzi, sono contento siano apprezzate!

Per me è un piacere! Portiamo la confraternita nel mondo, come on!!! :D

Advanced Member

Group

Status
    CITAZIONE (Matteoxr6 @ 16/12/2017, 04:51) 
    In effetti stai svolgendo un certosino lavoro amanuense interculturale veramente lodevole, e per il bene dell'umanità, aggiungerei.

:D

Advanced Member

Group

Status
    Se è per il bene dell'umanità non posso certo tirarmi indietro :D

8. Antonio_37

User deleted

wow
    vedo solo ora
    queste iniziative sono fantastiche
    grazie mille per il lavoro che stai facendo!

Advanced Member

Group

Status
    QUOTE (Antonio_37 @ 22/3/2018, 12:08) 
    wow
    vedo solo ora
    queste iniziative sono fantastiche
    grazie mille per il lavoro che stai facendo!

Un piacere! Se solo avessi piu tempo! A breve ne pubblico un'altra comunque...

8 replies since 15/12/2017, 16:27   4758 views